Do you find aubergines weird and maybe strange in texture and taste? Well in this stew it is totally amazing! I’ve never eaten aubergine tasting this good!
This stew is inspired by a beautiful blogger called Ella, she makes delicious vegan food that is tasty and super easy! I am not a vegan or a vegetarian, so not all my meals will be either, but always think it is good to have a few meat free meals a week:)
This recipe is a big batch, and I have enough for 4 meals to freeze or to make one big pot for dinner guests.
So let’s get cracking!
– If you don’t have sweet potato I think butternut squash might be a good substitute –
- 4 smaller sweet potatoes (these will need to be boiled first so get your kettle on for hot water)
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 aubergines
- 2 tins of tomatoes (I only had whole tomatoes but use chopped if you have that)
- 1 tin coconut milk
- 1 tin chick peas
- 3 table spoons white wine vinegar (or another type of vinegar that is clear)
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 3 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (I like my food a little extra spicy)
- 2 table spoons tomato puree
- 3 handfuls of spinach
- A little bunch of coriander
– The chickpeas, spinach and coriander are not going in the pot til later –
- Cut sweet potatoes and put in a separate pan for boiling (15min)
- Cut onion
- Cut aubergine
- Heat up a pot with some olive oil
- Add the spices, garlic and onions
- Add vinegar
- Add tomato pure
- Add the potatoes and aubergine
- Add the tin of coconut milk and the two tins of tomatoes
- Heat to a boil, put a lid on and let it simmer for 1 hour
- After 1 hour, give it a good stir and add spinach, rinsed chickpeas and chopped coriander
- Let it boil for 15 more minutes and it is all ready
Served with brown rice, but is also good with a nice salad or quinoa.
Hope you like it and that the recipe is easy to follow!